Micro-needling (also known as collagen induction therapy or CIT) is a new innovation in aesthetic medicine that can help treat the appearance of fine lines, acne scars and the skin’s overall appearance. During this procedure, the Eclipse MicroPen® is used to create controlled micro-injuries to the skin in order to produce collagen and elastin. Automated micro-needling also creates superficial micro-channels which can be used with topical gels, creams and serums to help improve the appearance of the skin. Eclipse MicroPen® is the most advanced medical-grade automated micro-needling device on the market.
What are the Benefits of Micro-needling?
- The benefits of micro-needling can include a reduction in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, younger-looking skin with fewer signs of aging. Eclipse MicroPen® can also have a positive effect on the appearance of hyper-pigmentation and hypo-pigmentation, acne scars, traumatic scars and stretch marks and create a fresher appearance or glow to the skin.
What does it Feel Like?
- The feeling associated with the Eclipse MicroPen® is similar to light sandpaper being moved across the skin. While some areas are more sensitive than others, the speed of the reciprocating MicroPen® tip reduces discomfort while the applied hydrating gel also makes the treatment more tolerable.
How long does the procedure take?
- The procedure takes 15-30 minutes depending on the size of the area treated.
What is the downtime?
- Immediately after the treatment you will notice a bright redness to the skin.
- The total healing time depends on the Eclipse MicroPen® setting used and the number of overlapping passes your skincare professional performs. On average, patients are red up to 2 to 4 days. Some patients heal completely in as little as 24 hours.
When will I see the results?
- Patients notice an immediate “glow” to their skin. Visible changes to the skin develop over the course of several days and weeks. Results continue to improve up to 6 months after the treatment as collagen production continues.
How many treatments will I need?
- Some patients only require a single treatment, once per year to achieve optimal results. However, it is recommended for most patients to receive a series of 2-3 treatments spaced about 6-8 weeks apart. For patients with deep wrinkles, advanced photo-aging, stretch marks or acne scars, your skin care provider may recommend 6-8 sessions at 6 week intervals.